Freitag, September 15, 2006

evacuations hijacking MIA oh my!

The head technology guy came into our area this morning and said very calmly "it has been recommended that we leave the building now".

I had briefly noticed the email that had arrived a few minutes prior from our Admin assistant "the gas smell has been reported..." but it didn't really register as I was engrossed in other things. So we all got our jackets on and out we went, dispersing down the block only to meet up again at the two main coffee shops close by. It's kind of a giddy feeling, to be 'let out' unexpectedly, not sure when and if you may return to your regularly scheduled work day.

I had a similar experience twice this past week with this here blog. As I tried to access it Monday morning, I was greeted with some kind of fanatical religious site, which seemed to have taken over my Sassy little world. I started clicking around, trying to find another way to access it, and found my tension level rising until it bordered on panic... Could it be? All of my posts over the past 2 years (2 years!) just... gone? Disappeared? The situation rectified itself shortly after, and my familiar template popped up again as if nothing had happened.

I'm taking it as a lesson in "you don't know what you've got till it's gone", and a reminder to enjoy what you have, while you have it. I was thankful to return to my desk this morning and resume my day, and I am taking precautions to preserve this tiny slice of the web via professional hosting by the one and only splorp. Thanks, G!

Keine Kommentare: