Dienstag, März 01, 2005

Coming Clean

One of those moments that is so defining that you want to capture every single detail of it happening.

Bear with me, folks. I seem to have found my voice and she is not only long winded but I don’t think she’s gonna shut up anytime soon!

Bliss.

I have exactly one Sass-sized glass of 2002 Casa Lapostolle Sauvignon Blanc left from the bottle Louise and I started yesterday. Wow. Was that just yesterday? Yes, precisely one night I have spent in my new abode. In my freshly made bed. In my brand spankin’ new (to me) and CLEAN main floor home.

It was, as predicted, the easiest move ever, up from the basement in one fowl swoop. It’s now past midnight, and finally I sit, able to write in my semi set up living room. At the very least I had to flip the couch into an upright position and put the pillows back on it. C & I had left it tipped in our haste as I rushed to leave for my soccer game earlier this evening.

First I cleared away the boxes, put the filing cabinet back together, and puttered around shifting things here and there until everything was satisfactory (temporarily). To my satisfaction, that is.

I have come to the realization that not everyone shares the same opinion or standards for things. Cleanliness, for example. But let’s not go there right now.

I feel that a transformation has taken place. A huge shift. I feel like I’m finally able to exhale. Emerging from the depths of the dungeon that was my domain. Finally surfacing after enduring a long, cooped up winter (of my discontent?) with not enough oxygen or nutrients to get me by.

The time has come, the time is now. To wake up, open those blinds, clear the cobwebs, and Let The Sun Shine In! Ahem. Sorry, got a little carried away there. However, I have made an important discovery. Basement Suites. No More.

It’s like a commencement into adulthood. I had a mini stove and fridge down below, and now my regular sized appliances seem giant to me. They have inspired a late night grocery spree and visions of recipe trying and dinner parties dance in my head.

In fact, that reminds me- now is the perfect time for my honey to start redeeming his Christmas present(s): at least one meal a month chosen from recipes out of a German cookbook I gave him. Which will enable us to a) expound a little more on the culinary vocabulary in my ‘father tongue’ and b) enjoy a healthy home cooked meal together. How romantic! Well, at least that’s my goal.

Anyhoo… (I did have a point here somewhere) the extra large –to me, having gotten used to the tiny European versions of fridges my whole time in Germany- space has inspired me to fill it with nutritious food. That, and the thought of fitting into the dress I want to wear to that wedding happening in 4 weeks…

Nearly $100 expended in groceries (yes, all put away, Ainsley!) and my sweaty soccer stuff hanging triumphantly downstairs in the laundry room, a yummy glass of vino and some antipasto and stoned wheat crackers in my belly, with only 3 or 4 (ok, maybe 5) boxes left to unpack my 2nd day in… I’m ready to call it a night. Goodnight!

Keine Kommentare: